2009 Special Report on Fishing and Boating
The 2009 Special Report on Fishing and Boating
, a new report produced by The Outdoor Foundation in partnership with the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation, reveals that anglers represent a deep pool of potential outdoor enthusiasts.
The report features an expansive overview of all fishing enthusiasts, presenting detailed information on participation by gender, age, ethnicity, income, education and geographic region. In addition, the publication includes special sections on the youth and Hispanic markets, which have become the two most important segments to understand and engage.
- In 2008, fishing participants made one billion annual outings.
- Fishing is the most popular gateway activity that often leads to participation in other outdoor activities (77.9% of fishing participants participate in multiple outdoor activities).
- Freshwater fishing is most popular among young people, with almost 25% under the age of 18 (24.6%).
- The median age bracket of saltwater fishing participants is 35-44.
- Fly fishing has significant growth opportunities across a number of demographics, particularly females (20.2% of participants), minority groups (20% of participants), and youth (12.4% of participants).
- Nearly half of all youth ages 13 to 17 are influenced by their friends to participate in outdoor activities (46.9%).
- Female participation in fishing falls significantly more than males through adolescence, down 29.6% as opposed to 11.7%.
- Youth participants ages six to 12 are driven by a desire for fun (78.6%) and an interest in exploring the natural world (50.9%).
- In 2008, Hispanic fishing participants made more than 45.8 million annual outings.
- Hispanic youth ages six to 12 have the highest participation rate among all age groups (19.5%) followed by youth ages 13-17 (16.4%).
- The most common participation barrier cited among Hispanics is lack of time (53.3%) followed by a perceived lack of access to fishing areas (17%).
File: Full Report
File Type: PDF
File Size: 131 KB